1. Always take your makeup off before bed. I know you’re tired. I know you’re comfortable. But seriously, your face will thank you.
2. Wear the shoes you want. I don’t care if you’re seven feet tall. Strap on those six inch heel and rock them! Also, shorter people are just as entitled to wearing flats as tall people, even if that means we have to look up to talk to people.
3. Wear what makes you comfortable. Sure that dress makes you look great, but can you even move in it? You’ll look (and feel!) your best when you’re comfortable and confident.
4. Don’t be afraid to wear things that are a little out there. I’m not saying you should dress like Lady Gaga. Just take a leap and buy those kind of crazy shoes, or that unique patterned top! If you like it, wear it.
5. Believe in something. Whether that something is God, an ideal, whatever, you need to believe in it with all your heart.
6. Set goals for yourself. You need to set goals for yourself to motivate yourself to work towards your future and make the right choices.
7. Find something you love. Find a hobby, sport, or activity you love, and do it as much as you can.
8. It’s alright to splurge every once in a while. Buy it, it looks great on you. Eat it, it’s delicious.
9. It’s okay to lose yourself. We’ve all had those days (or even those weeks, months, or years). It’s okay if you feel lost for a while, as long as you do everything in your power to pull yourself out and find yourself again.
10. Don’t listen to Them. We all have a Them. Just remember that They have no power over you. You are stronger than Them. What They say about you says much more about Them than it says about you. “How people treat you defines them, how you respond defines you.” (Mastin Kipp)
11. Wishing isn’t enough. You can’t just wish for something and have it appear. To get what you want or to get where you want to be, you need to do something.
12. Have a role model. Have a person that you can look up to. Model your behavior and make your decisions to make them proud of you.
13. It’s okay to go out without makeup. So you have a blemish. It’s called being a human, being alive, and having a face. No one looks perfect. Don’t be afraid to show your real face.
14. Don’t change to please people. In the words of Alex Gaskarth, “Pretending to be someone you’re not takes a toll on the real you, and the real you is more important than anyone else.” Personally, I’d rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I’m not.
15. Live from happiness, not for happiness. “When you’re happy for no reason, you bring happiness to your outer experiences rather than trying to extract happiness from them. You don’t need to manipulate the world around you to try to make yourself happy. You live from happiness, rather than for happiness.” (Marci Shimoff)